[DV6] Intimate Partner Abuse Assessment
This course meets the qualifications for 4 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences; course presenter, John Hamel, is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education to LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs (#71799). John Hamel maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
COURSE FEE: $75. Instructor: John Hamel, LCSW, License #15194
In this course, the instructor first provides an overview of current research on the characteristics, causes and consequences of violence between intimate partners. This is followed by an overview of assessment issues, including perpetrator typologies, and an in-depth exploration of essential assessment protocols and questionnaires. This course can be taken in lieu of DV-2 for those interested in DV-3, on treatment.
This course consists of Power Point slides with narration, exercises and informational handouts. The final post-test consists of 40 questions.
Learning Objectives. At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the most up-to-date, relevant social science research on the characteristics, causes and consequences of partner abuse.
- Understand the issues around partner abuse assessment, including the use and limitations of typologies.
- Conduct a sound assessment protocol with which to design a treatment plan based on client needs.
Cancellation Policy: A participant who has registered and paid for the online course is entitled to a full refund up to 7 days following payment of the registration fee, provided that he/she has not completed any of the lessons or quizzes. The participant must request this refund in writing, and submit this request via e-mail to the course presenter, John Hamel, at firstname.lastname@example.org. A participant who has completed any of the lessons, but did not complete the final post-test and did not receive a certificate, is entitled to a refund equal to 25% of the registration fee. If he/she sends a written request via e-mail to the course presenter. No administrative fee will be charged for any requests. All refunds will be issued within 7 business days of receipt.
ADA compliance: All online courses are accessible to persons with disabilities and ADA compliant. If you have a special need and plan to take any course, please contact John Hamel, LCSW. Please allow as much advance notice as is possible to ensure we have ample opportunity to meet your needs.
Full Course Syllabus:
- Topic 1 Handout/Exercise: Review of DV research
- Topic 2 Perpetrator typologies
- Topic 3 Handout/Exercise: Abuse dynamics
- Topic 4 Research on assessment, prevention and treatment
- Quiz 1
- Topic 5 Diagnostic considerations
- Topic 6 Handout/Exercise: Who’s the dominant aggressor?
- Topic 7 Conducting assessments
- Topic 8 Handout/Exercise: Assessment protocol
- Quiz 2
- Topic 17 References
Speaker turned on