[DV7] Working with Victims: Best Practices
This course meets the qualifications for 4 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences; course presenter, John Hamel, is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education to LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs (#71799). John Hamel maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
COURSE FEE: $95. Instructor: John Hamel, LCSW, License #15194
In this course, the instructor provides an overview of the social science research and best practices on working with victims of domestic violence, otherwise known as intimate partner violence. Topics include: gathering information and establishing the therapeutic alliance; victimization dynamics, resources and the safety plan; helping clients heal from abuse; empowering co-perpetrators to overcome their own violence; and working with underserved populations, such as men and victims in same-sex relationships.
This course consists of Power Point slides and informational handouts. The final post-test consists of 40 questions.
Learning Objectives. At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Become familiar with the contemporary social science literature on working with victims of domestic violence, also known as intimate partner violence.
- Learn how to apply best practice information to helping victims be safe and heal from their abuse experiences.
- Understand the needs of underserved populations, such as heterosexual men and victims of same-sex abuse.
Cancellation Policy: A participant who has registered and paid for the online course is entitled to a full refund up to 7 days following payment of the registration fee, provided that he/she has not completed any of the lessons or quizzes. The participant must request this refund in writing, and submit this request via e-mail to the course presenter, John Hamel, at email@example.com. A participant who has completed any of the lessons, but did not complete the final post-test and did not receive a certificate, is entitled to a refund equal to 25% of the registration fee. If he/she sends a written request via e-mail to the course presenter. No administrative fee will be charged for any requests. All refunds will be issued within 7 business days of receipt.
ADA compliance: All online courses are accessible to persons with disabilities and ADA compliant. If you have a special need and plan to take any course, please contact John Hamel, LCSW. Please allow as much advance notice as is possible to ensure we have ample opportunity to meet your needs.
Full Course Syllabus:
- Topic 1 Gathering information and establishing the therapeutic alliance
- Topic 2 Victimization dynamics, resources and the safety plan
- Topic 3 Helping clients heal from abuse
- Quiz #1
- Topic 4 Empowering co-perpetrators to overcome their own violence
- Topic 5 Underserved populations: Heterosexual men
- Topic 6 Underserved populations: Victims in same-sex relationships
- Topic 7 Handouts: Victim safety plan
- Quiz #2
- Topic 8 References
Final Post Test